Lonava- A social news site in Python/Tornado
I spent a few weeks building an online Social News site to test some ideas, and thought some others might want to play with the code.
I’ll warn you that I’m while I’m adequate as an IT guy, I’m not a very good programmer. That said, you’re welcome to patch it, and submit changes back to the repo 😉
- Posting News from around the web
- Commenting on said news
- Creating Channels (Subreddits/categories), and posting/reposting news into them.
- Posting Images in comments and stories.
- Importing News stories from RSS, Reddit, Digg, Hacker News
- Automatic Sitemap generation
- Show top Channels
- Lots of other nice stuff.
- It’s written assuming that you will be using Postgresql.
- It calls Postgres everywhere it’s needed, not via a SQL pool
- The name Lonava.com is hardcoded.
What it comes down to is that it wasn’t designed to be a generic engine, it was designed to run Lonava.com, but it should be portable with some regex work.
Take a look and let me know what you think. Hopefully it’s useful 😉